Cyber-psychologist Berni Goode talking about Flow on Charlie Brooker’s How Videogames Changed the World.
Flow is extremely important. So, so important.
It’s what keeps some people sane. It’s what drives the world’s most skilled and accomplished athletes, the most intense gamers, the hardcore hobbyists, even many of the most talented artists, musicians and actors - flow is what you get when unstoppable drive meets an unflinching will and unlimited dedication.
Flow is being utterly, truly “in the zone”. And it’s one of the most amazing feelings there is.
This is why finding a sport, or a hobby, or a martial art, or a handicraft, or a new video game, or any skill-based activity that uses focus and requires practice and repetition is so beneficial for things like depression and anxiety and overall mental/physical well-being.
i was teaching my grandma to use computer so we can talk on skype and such but today she went kinda mad at me because “i didnt show her the knitting programme” and i was like what
and it comes out she accidentally opened ms excel and found out its a great way to create knitting patterns
my grandma is 82
what if you woke up christmas morning and your favorite character or celebrity was just casually sitting by the christmas tree with a bow on their head and was just like “oh good you’re finally awake”
*Rapidly tries to make hair look decent*
but then they were all “no your hair looks fine” and they laughed
and then after a long somewhat awkward amount of silence they were just like
"i like your pajamas"
i would cry
he is laughing!
this is actually so beautiful.
movies → Toy Story (1995) + not-quite-profanity.
- My Brother: Is it illegal to expose yourself to a blind person?
- My Brother: Why is it called a building when it's already built?
- My Brother: If money doesn't grow on trees, why do banks have branches?
- My Brother: When something is shipped by ship it's called cargo, but when something is shipped by car it's called a shipment...
- My Brother: If love is blind, then why is lingerie so popular?
- My Brother: Why is impediment so hard to say when used to describe someone who has a hard time talking?
- My Brother: What's the speed of dark?
- Me: -awake forever trying to figure out all the answers-
[ Urge to shove the shard to his heart intensifies ]